Department of Horticulture and Plantation Crops
Thiruvarur district is a Delta region. This district is predominantly an Agricultural oriented one and depends mostly on Cauvery water. Horticulture crops are being grown I area of 1534 ha. Among these fruit crops are been cultivated in an area of 618 ha, vegetable crops 612 ha, flower crops 27 ha and spices and plantation crops 217 ha. In Thiruvarur out of 10 blocks mannargudi, needamangalam, kodavasal,valangaiman and nannilam are identified as potential blocks where more area under horticulture crops are cultivated.
The following schemes are being implemented in Thiruvarur district.
- Integrated Horticulture Development Programme (IHDS)
- National Agricultural Development Scheme (NADP)
- Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY)
- Pradhan Mantri Fasal Beema yojana (PMFBY)
- Collective Farming.
SCHEMES IMPLEMENTATED IN TIRUVARUR DISTRICT DURING THE YEAR 2017-18
1.Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY)- Micro Irrigation
Micro Irrigation aims at efficient use if irrigation water and Fertilizers by adopting Modern Irrigation Systerms Liks Drip Irrigation and Sprinkler Irrigation to increase the Productivity of crops and thereby improving standard of living of farmers.
2.Intergrated Horticulture development scheme (IHDS)
- Under this scheme the fruit plants like Mango, Guava, Sapota and other fruit crops, spices crops (chillies) and hybrid vegetable seeds are being distributed to the farmers community at 40% Government Subsidy.
- Their by increasing the area under horticulture crops in Thiruvarur District through this Scheme and also to cater the needs of the farmer and also giving technical advise to the farmer for the Cultivation of Horticulture Crops.
NATIONAL AGRICULTURE DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME (NADP)
Through the scheme distribution of fruit plants and hybrid vegetable seed under area expansion programme at 50% subsidy. Through this schemes new initiatives Like protected cultivation (poly green house, shsdenet, honey bee culture, vermiform posting, pandal cultivation)n are being implemented for the benefit of farmers community.
PRANDHAN MANTRI FASAL MEEMA YOJANA (PMFBY)
Under this sdcheme in Thiruvsrur District notified crops like Tapioca and Banana crops are being cultivated in the notified areas was identified.
In these identified Village clusters steps are being taken (Campaigns, field visit village level meeting, Press News) to motivate the formers to insure crop insursnce for the identified crops.
2017-18 COLLECTIVE FARMING SCHEME:
- Under this collective farming scheme farmers interested groups of horticulture growers are being formed at the rate of 20 numbers comprising one FIG. (Farmer Interested Group)
- After forming the FIG the FIG will be formed by comprising 5 FIG’s containing 20 Numbers in each FIG into 1 FPG (Farmer producer Group). 100 members, each FPG provided with corpus fund of 5 lakhs by thw Government.
- By comprising 20 FPG’s to form in to one FPO (Farmer producer Organisation). containing 1000 members.
- By farming this FPO the farmer can market their produce in a united manner without any interference of intermediaries their by getting more remuneration.
Deputy Director of horticulture,