Thiruvarur district has Horticultural crop area of 4921 Hectares, in which Fruits (9.51%) occupies major area and followed by Vegetables (10.3%), Plantation (78.86%), Spices (1.13%) and Flowers (0.44%).
Coconut is the major growing region consist of 3881 ha followed by Banana (262 Ha), Tapioca (135 Ha), Green (98 Ha) and Brinjal (88 Ha) are the major Horticulture crops that are cultivated in the district. The blocks namely Valangaiman and Kottur were major fruits growing region and Mannargudi, Kottur and Needamangalam were major vegetable growing region.
To increase the production, productivity and income of farmers, various schemes are being implemented through Department of Horticulture and Plantation crops. To impart Hi-tech Production techniques among farmers various schemes like poly House Construction, Shade Net House, Mulching, Distribution of Seedlings of High Yielding varieties of fruit crops, vegetables and plantation crops are being done.
- NATIONAL AGRICULTURE DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME (NADP)
- PRADHAN MANTRI KRISHI SINCHAYEE YOJANA (PMKSY)
- INTEGRATED HORTICULTURE DEVELOPMENT SCHEME (IHDS)
- TNIAMP (IAMWARM I) PROJECT (TAMIL NADU IRRIGATED AGRICULTURE MODERNIZATION PROJECT – HORTICULTURE) TNIAMP
- COLLECTIVE FARMING
- PRADHAN MANTRI FASAL BIMA YOJANA (PMFBY)
- STATE HORTICULTURE FARMS (SHF)
1.NATIONAL AGRICULTURE DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME (NADP)
- Assistance to Organic cultivation in Vegetables like Greens (Rs.2500), Tomato , Brinjal and Bhendi (Rs.3750)
- Establishment of Permanent Pandal system @ Rs.2 lakh/Ha
- Establishment of Staking @ Rs.25000/ Ha
2.PRADHAN MANTRI KRISHI SINCHAYEE YOJANA (PMKSY)
Under this scheme, to emphasis efficient use of irrigation water, farmers are being encouraged to set up micro irrigation facility through financial assistance of 100 % subsidy to small and marginal farmers and 75 % subsidy to big farmers. A beneficiary can get financial assistance up to 5 ha. Farmers who are all already benefited can also get subsidy for renew the laterals after seven years.
3.Supplementary Water Management Activities (SWMA)
In this, subsidy is extended for creation of ground level water storage structures @ Rs.40000, digging of bore wells Safe Firka @ Rs.25000 , laying of conveyance pipes @Rs.10000and for Electric motors/Diesel pump sets @Rs.15000/-.
4.INTEGRATED HORTICULTURE DEVELOPMENT SCHEME (IHDS)
This scheme is being implemented with an objective to increase the area under Horticulture Crops. This is a 100% State sponsored scheme.
- Cultivating Normal planting in fruits- Acid Lime @ Rs.13195 and Papaya Rs.18496, Pomegranate @ Rs.11520/-, Mango @ Rs.6120/ Ha, Guava @ Rs.9201/-
- Cultivating Dryland crops are Tamarind @ Rs.20,000/-
- Cultivating Traditional fruit & Vegetable cultivars Rs.15,000/Ha and Cultivation of Hybrid vegetables (Brinjal, and Chillies)- Protray seedlings has been produced at State Horticulture Farms and distributed to farmers at free cost at the rate of Rs. 20000 per hectare
- Cultivating Vegetable through seeds Greens and Bhendi Rs.10,000/Ha. And Crop incentive programme-The farmers can avail an incentive of Rs 2,500 per hectare to cultivate vegetables during off-season.
- Augumentation of Moringa Seedlings with Rs.10000 per hectare
- Flower crops cultivation: For cultivating Jasmine, Rs. 16000 per hectare has been Produced state Horticulture farm and distributed to farmers at free cost
- Spice chillies cultivation Rs. 12000 per hectare has been given to farmers as back ended subsidy
5.TNIAMP (IAMWARM I) Project (Tamil Nadu Irrigated Agriculture Modernization Project – Horticulture)
TNIAMP is a multi Disciplinary Project funded by World Bank and implemented by the Government of Tamil Nadu. The main objective of the programme is to accelerate crop diversification from crops requiring more water to high remunerative and less water requiring horticultural crops, through promotion of hi-tech cultivation technologies and water conservation technologies in the proposed sub basins. The innovative interventions implemented were Horticultural crop demonstration, Promotion of pesticide free vegetables production, Promotion of Micro irrigation, Climate resilience technology of protected cultivation and Mulching.
ELIGIBILITY OF FARMERS
- All the farmers who have own agriculture lands are eligible. If on lease, the lease period should be a minimum of 10 years for project based components.
- Assured irrigation facilities are necessary where water usage is mandatory for the components like protected cultivation, area expansion etc.
- The beneficiary farmers should enclose all mandatory documents along with the application.
- The documents should be valid for the current period.
MANDATORY DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED BY THE BENEFICIARY TO AVAIL SUBSIDY FOR VARIOUS COMPONENTS UNDER IHDS
- Application Form
- Beneficiary must be registered in HORTNET
- Chitta and adangal (original)
- FMB sketch
- In case of Lessee farmers, registered lease agreement should be furnished.
- Soil and water test reports for cultivation related components
- Passport size photos (3 Nos.)
- Ration card (Xerox)
- Bank passbook (1st page Xerox) for verifying the Account Number
- Affidavit for components wherein the assistance is above Rs.50,000/-
- Field photos during various stages of implementation with beneficiary (for Area expansion and project based activities)
- Field Board with IHDS logo after completion (for project based)
The Government of Tamil Nadu has announced in the Budget speech 2017-18 to implement an innovative programme for organizing small and marginal farmers into Farmer Producer Groups which will be federated into Farmer Producer Organizations to promote collective farming for credit mobilization, better adoption of technology and facilitate effective forward and backward linkages.
7.PRADHAN MANTRI FASAL BIMA YOJANA (PMFBY)
In Thiruvarur district, Banana, and Tapioca crops are notified to be covered under this insurance scheme. Farmers insured the crops in notified villages could get insurance amount for crop damages due to natural calamities and tremendous yield loss due to pest and diseases.
8.State Horticulture Farms (SHFs)
State Horticulture Farm is established in the year 2017 with an area of 5.82.5 Ha.
- Bio-control Agents Production Units for Tricoderma Virde and pseudomonas fluorescens are produced and sold 200 kgs in the farm gate.
- TANHODA outlets ensure that quality produce, products and other materials like farm tools and implements, inputs for potager garden kits, vegetable seeds, Spice boxes, Dry fruit boxes, FPO products, etc are being sold at a nominal price to the public. TANHODA outlet also facilitates the farmers / FPOs to have choice for selling their products at nominal cost without any intermediaries so that they will get more income.
- Distribution of seed balls: Trees are mainly propagated through seeds and seed balls are essential to create greener environment by convenient dispersal mechanism for people. The seeds wrapped in seed ball will keep the seed safely until a conducive environment arise for proper germination.
- Farm Tourism: To impart knowledge on latest Horticultural technologies to students and farmers, Farm tourism was initiated in all State Horticulture Farms, Parks and Gardens throughout the state. This will help the students and people in urban areas to practically experience farming. This concept has many interesting parts in which the visitors can directly involve in farm activities. They are provided with natural refreshment and gifted with a plant in nominal entry fee Rs.100 per farmer and Rs.50 per Student
- Coconut seedling production in State Horticulture Farm Moovanallur
- Plants as Return Gifts for Public and Private Functions: In Tamil Nadu, during functions like Birthday Celebration, Wedding Anniversary, Marriage, Engagement, House warming ceremony, opening ceremony of new shops, etc., return gift are given to the guests. For promoting Environment, people like to present tree saplings as return gift, as the trees and plants live longer and significantly benefit the environment. This programme brings happiness to both the giver and the taker of the plants and promotes growing of trees and plants.
- TFL Vegetable Seed Production in Bhendi and Breeder to foundation seed production in Ridge gourd var: PKM-1.
Deputy Director of Horticulture,
O/o.Deputy Director of Horticulture,
Collectorate Annexure Building,
District Court Opposite (Land mark),
District Officers Contact Details:
|Sl. No.||Designation||Mobile No|
|1||Deputy Director of Horticulture||98421 84435|
|2||Assistant Director of Horticulture (Planting Material)||95970 59469|
Block Level Assistant Directors of Horticulture Contact Details
|Sl. No.||Designation||Mobile No|