Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Department
District Level Office:
The Joint Director of Agriculture, Near District Collector Camp office, Thiruvarur.
Block Level Office:
- Assistant Director of Agriculture, Agricultural Extension Centre, Thiruvarur.
- Assistant Director of Agriculture, Agricultural Extension Centre, Nannilam.
- Assistant Director of Agriculture, Agricultural Extension Centre, Kudavasal.
- Assistant Director of Agriculture, Agricultural Extension Centre, Koradacheri.
- Assistant Director of Agriculture, Agricultural Extension Centre, Valangaiman.
- Assistant Director of Agriculture, Agricultural Extension Centre,Needamangalam.
- Assistant Director of Agriculture, Agricultural Extension Centre, Mannargudi.
- Assistant Director of Agriculture, Agricultural Extension Centre,Kottur.
- Assistant Director of Agriculture, Agricultural Extension Centre, Thiruthuraipoondi.
- Assistant Director of Agriculture, Agricultural Extension Centre, Muthupettai.
Agriculture continues to be the most predominant sector of the District economy,as 90 percent of the population is engaged in Agriculture and allied activities for their livelihood.The District has as an area of 328869 Ha with net cultivated area of around 322859 Ha.The Government policy and objectives have been to ensure stability in agricultural production and to increase the agricultural production in a sustainable manner to meet the food requirement of growing population and also to meet the raw material needs of agro based industries, thereby providing employment opportunities to the rural population.
Thiruvarur District has along been one of the Districts in the state with a creditable performance in agricultural production with the farmers relatively more responsive and receptive to changing technologies and market forces.
The Agricultural Department has taken up the challenge to achieve higher growth rate in agriculture by implementing several development schemes and also propagation of relevant technologies to step up the production. Intensive Integrated Farming System – NMSA, Massive Wasteland Development Programme, Mission on Sustainable Dry land Agriculture, Collective farming, Comprehensive watershed development activities, Water management through Micro Irrigation Systems, Soil health improvement through Bio-Fertilizer including Green Manuring,Sustainable Sugarcane Initiative, Organic Farming, adoptation of Integrated Nutrient Management (INM) and Integrated Pest Management (IPM)technologies are given priority through various programmes, besides crop diversification to fetch better return and value addition to agricultural produce are also given priority to improve the economic status of the farming community of the district.
State Seed Farms -Deevambalpattinam,Nedumbalam,Kanchikudikadu,Keeranthi,Moongilkudi:
The objective of the state seed farm is to multiply the breeder seeds and foundation seeds and distribute them for the further mass multiplication of these seeds as certified seeds at farmers field as a part of Seed Mulitiplication Scheme.Paddy,Blackgram,Gingelly and Groundnut aremajor part of the Seed Production programme in SSF.
Coconut Nursery – Vaduvur Thenpathi :
The objective of the Coconut Nursery is to produce and distribute good quality Dwarf and Tall Coconut Seedlings to the farmers of Thiruvarur District.
Bio- Fertilizer Production Unit – Needamangalam:
BioFertilizersuchasAzospyrillum(Paddy),Azospyrillum(Others),Rhizobium(Pulses),Rhizobium(Groundnut) and Phospho bacteria are produced and distributed both in liquid and carrier based solid form.The objective of the Bio-Fertilizer application is to reduce the chemical fertilizer application and improve the soil health status.
Fertilizer Control Laboratory – Thiruvarur:
To make sure that the Fertilizer produced and sold in the Private dealers and PACCS are taken and sent to Fertilizer Control Laboratory for analysis. Based on the analysis report, Non-standard fertilizer movement is restricted.
Soil Testing Laboratory – Thiruvarur:
Soil Samples are taken from the farmers field (Grid System of Sampling) and sent to Soil Testing Laboratory for analysis. Based on the analytical report of the Soil Testing Laboratory,Soil health cards are generated and distributed to the farmers.The objective is to educate the farmers to go for soil health based chemical fertilizer application and also to control the indiscriminate use of chemical fertilizers that not only affect the soil health status and reduces the produce quality but also increases the cost of cultivation without any additional benefits.
Mobile Soil Testing Laboratory -Thiruvarur:
Soil Samples are collected from various blocks of Thiruvarur District and analysed in village itself by using Mobile Soil testing Van with equipments available in the van.Soil Health results are interpreted in cards and distributed to the farmers.
Agricultural Technology Management Agency (ATMA):
The objective is to strengthen Research –Extension – Farmer linkages.
Technology Transfer through Demonstrations,Training and Exposure visit.
Different schemes are being implemented in our district to disseminate the advanced technologies for increasing productivity and production in all agricultural crops.
Centrally Sponsored Schemes :
- National Mission on Oilseeds and Oil palm (NMOOP)-Oilseeds, Oil palm and
Tree Borne Oilseeds Crops.
- National Food Security Mission (NFSM)- Pulses, Coarse Cereals and Commercial Crops.
- National Mission on Sustainable Agriculture (NMSA) – Integrated Farming System.
- Coconut Development Board schemes (CDB)- Coconut.
- Sub- Mission on Seeds and Planting Materials (SMSP) – Paddy, Millets, Pulses and Oilseeds – Certified Seed Distribution.
- Paramparagat Krishi Vikas Yojana (PKVY) – To Encourage Organic Farming.
- Pradhan Manthri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY) – Micro Irrigation in Agricultural Crops.
- Tamil Nadu Cotton Cultivation Mission (TNCCM)- cotton.
- Mission on sustainable Dry land Agriculture (MSDA) – Rain fed Millet, Pulses,
Oilseeds and Cotton.
- Collective Farming – Establishing FPO’s.
- Seed Multiplication schemes by TANSEDA.
|01||District Level||Joint Director of Agriculture Thiruvarur.||7397753311|
|02||District Level||Deputy Director of Agriculture
(Government of India Schemes).
|03||District Level||Deputy Director of Agriculture
|04||District Level||Personnel Assistant to Collector (Agriculture),
|05||District Level||Assistant Director of Agriculture(i/c)
|06||District Level||Agricultural Officer
(Government of India Schemes)(i/c)
|07||District Level||Agricultural Officer
|08||District Level||Agricultural Officer
|09||District Level||Agricultural Officer,
O/o Personel Assistant to Collector (Agriculture)
|01||District Level||Assistant Director of Agriculture(i/c)
|02||District Level||Assistant Director of Agriculture,
|03||District Level||Assistant Director of Agriculture,
|04||District Level||Assistant Director of Agriculture,
|05||District Level||Assistant Director of Agriculture,
|06||District Level||Assistant Director of Agriculture,
|07||District Level||Assistant Director of Agriculture,
|08||District Level||Assistant Director of Agriculture
|09||District Level||Assistant Director of Agriculture
|10||District Level||Assistant Director of Agriculture,